Firearms and ammunition locking and storage devices can be purchased wherever guns or firearms accessories are sold:
- Sporting good stores
- Gun stores
- Discount stores
- ‘Big box’ stores
- Firing ranges
A simple online search with the keywords:
‘firearm safe storage’ or ‘firearm lock’ can help you locate additional purchasing information and online retailers.
Cost: Free to $20+
What it is: A device that blocks the chamber and prevents a cartridge from being fired.
How it works: Cable locks are inserted in or through the magazine well or chamber, or the gun barrel and chamber to block a cartridge from moving into position. A combination or key opens the lock.
Features: Metal cylinders, vinyl covered wire cables, etc. Locks may be universal or may only fit certain revolver or pistol models. Some even have anti-tamper alarms.
- Long cables may be threaded through several guns
- Very inexpensive
- Thin cables can be cut
Cost: $5 to $35+
What it is: A two piece lock that fits through the trigger guard.
How it works: A rigid cylinder fits behind the trigger so it cannot be pulled. A push-button keypad, combination, or key opens the lock.
Features: Some models have battery operated locks, lighted keypads and anti-tamper alarms.
- Widely Available
- Quick access keypad models
- Some models will not prevent access by older children or teens.
- May not prevent theft, since some may be removed easily.
- Some break easily
What it is: A safety device permanently installed on a gun by the maker or owner.
How it works: Some have a built in key or combination lock. Others are guns specially designed with a magnetic or electronic lock that only the owner can fire while wearing a special ring, bracelet or other device. New higher tech models have’ biometric grip technology’ that recognizes the grip of the owner.
Features: The lock is either part of the gun design or is an after-market add-on. It may contain magnetic or electronic components. This technology is evolving as demand increases.
Cost: $40 to $200+
What it is: A small safe designed to store a gun/guns or ammunition.
How it works: Guns or ammunition are locked in a box . A push-button, combination, digital keypad or key opens the lock.
Features: Most models have holes in the bottom to allow permanent mounting. Some have lighted locks for access in the dark. Most have padded interiors.
- Quick access if the lock is push-button or digital
- Difficult to steal if permanently mounted
- May allow storage for more than one handgun
- Keeps gun and ammunition out of sight
- Costs more than a trigger or cable lock.
- Portable boxes can be stolen and pried open by criminals.
GUN VAULT or SAFE:
Cost: $100 to $2,000+
How it works: Firearms or ammunition are locked inside the vault. A push-button, combination or digital keypad opens the lock.
Features: Gun safes vary widely in size and features. Some are small and simple, others are large and visually attractive.
- Difficult to steal
- Allows storage of numerous long guns and handguns, as well as personal items
- Many are fire resistant
- Safes keep guns, ammunitions and other valuables out of sight
- Higher cost in comparison to the alternatives
- Larger models are heavy and difficult to move
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence